Saturday, October 13, 2012

How much wood can a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood

Step 1:  Set up base camp and the porta -potty(a definite must for the female gender)
 
 Step 2:  Build a fire to enjoy
 
 Step 3:  Rise early....OK well not so early and eat a hearty breakfast.
Remember to always shut the windows at night or you will have major condensation inside which in turns creates a foggy camera lens.
 
 Holy Sh!# my beauty rest didn't do me any favors!   Dang coyotes kept me awake.   I had to pee really bad in the middle of the night but was to scared to go outside.  The next night I made Michael put the potty inside the camper.  Truth be told those coyotes were more scared of me than I was of them but I wasn't going to take any chances.  We figured there were at least 3 different packs of coyotes that surrounded our camp.
 
 Step 4:  Fall the tree.....Michael prides himself in doing this particular task.  I have to admit he is pretty dang good at it.   My Lil Paul Bunyan!  I guess that makes me the OX!
 
They call me "Lumber Jack-EEEE"
And no, Jolie I wasn't scouting elk but at least I know the difference between a bull elk and a bull moose.  We love our Randy!!!
 
  Amie's job title:  "On the Job Supervisor" 
Duties include:
  Sitting and looking pretty as much as one can in flannel and
  consuming alcoholic beverages.
 
 Step 5:  Take a tape measure and lumber crayon and measure out the desired length of your logs.  My logs measured anywhere from 18-20 inches.  I know what your thinking.....shame on you! Such dirty minded viewers!
 
 
 Step 6:  Take your 18 inch Stihl chainsaw and begin to cut your 18-20 inch logs
 
 
 Step 7:  Call in the OX to start loading
 


 This is how much wood a woodchuck can chuck!
Later, we drove down the road and finished filling up the back of the truck with wood as well.
 
While I don't thoroughly enjoy gathering firewood it is a necessity for heating our home.  I am always pleased with the fruits of our labor long about the first part of November.  I am also extremely grateful to my hubby for his hard, back breaking work so that we are able to enjoy a warm, cozy house during the cold winter months.  

Gathering firewood has become a family tradition that Mike and I have carried on for the past 26 years.  Michael expressed to me that this was one of  his favorite things he loved doing with my dad. As a matter of fact the Stihl saw that we currently use was handed down to us by my dad.  We tried to remember what year he bought it.  I believe he purchased it in the mid to late 70's.   All I remember is I was in my early elementary years of school and HATED cutting wood!  Crazy thing is.......she still runs like a champ!

The only bad part is that our kids are grown up and can no longer join us on our wood cutting expeditions so we lack their strong, helping hands.  Maybe our kids were right when they use to say....."the only reason you had us kids is so that we could do all your work for you".  NOT true!  OK! Maybe half true!  Seriously!  If that was the case we would have had more kids!  JEEZ! 

Now it's up to Mike and I and lots of Ibuprofen to get the job done.  We AIN'T and young as we think we IS!

 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. bwahahahaha!!! died laughing when i saw your morning beauty pic!!!! sorry am.....wilderness does not bring out our natural beauty side!

    I love this tradition. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that you are able to still use the 'stihl' saw. i truly wish your pops could engage with this tradition with ya'll.

    And even tho you and Mike aint as young as you thinks ya are, you both continue to be strong and go getters!

    I could say that it all looks fun but I'd be lying and you know it......well the drinkn part looks fun! me no likee to pee with coyotes or pine cones.

    amie...you are way more woman than i could ever think of being!!!! i love you ox.

    xoxo
    city wuss girl

    ReplyDelete