Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Fall is in the Air

     I love the changing of the seasons. When I spoke with my daughter the other day she commented on how she missed the different seasons. I realized at that moment how strange it would be for me to live some place where the colors and the seasons never really change. More often than not, I take for granted just how beautiful Western Colorado truly is no matter what time of year.
      In the mornings and evenings you can feel the chill of the fall air. My bare feet have been replaced with warm, fuzzy slippers and my tank tops have given way to tattered, comfy sweat shirts.
      The pool hasn't been used in weeks and the temperature on the hot tub has been turned up. The garden is starting to die off as the last of the fruits and vegetables are being harvested. The blooms on the flowers have ceased and the grapevine has started to turn red.
      The cravings for warm, comfort foods have started to consume my taste buds and is reflected in my grocery lists and meal planning. I have even started baking again. Last week I made an almond, poppy seed bundt cake.  This week it's an oatmeal, chocolate chip lunchbox cake.  You know the old saying, "the way to a mans heart his through is stomach".  If you don't believe that just come live at my place for a few days.  Cooking for 3 men is a full-time job in and of itself! I am sure the dudes are glad for fall because that means more meat in their diet and less fancy, smancy summer salads and veggie dishes that mainly grace our dinner table during the hot summer months.  

          Mmmmmm(sniffing the air).........I am off to check on my pot roast.

2 comments:

  1. What a good post :) made me all comfy and warm reading it!!!
    I LOVE almond poppy bread!!!!!
    I wonder if we can make that bread with the same "flour" we use in cookies?????

    Your dudes are lucky they have a great cook heading their home :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant that I LOVE YOUR almond poppy bread.....it's the best

    ReplyDelete